Wondering how to get to the Delta Chelsea once you arrive in Toronto? Here’s all the information you need:
- Flying into Toronto Pearson International Airport:
- Taxi: Delegates can take a cab from the airport to the Delta Chelsea (33 Gerrard St. W., closest major intersection: Yonge and Gerrard), but be warned: that can run you close to $60, depending on traffic.
- Airport shuttle: We have arranged a discount with Airport Express to offer CUP delegates a 7% discount on the service to and from the Delta Chelsea. Click here to book your shuttle trips with the NASH75 discount. Please note that effective Jan. 5, their main schedule is changing so that the bus will move quicker between the airport and the Delta Chelsea, so when you exchange your e-ticket at the Airport Express kiosk at Pearson, ask customer service staff for a current schedule so you know when to catch the bus going back.
- Public transit is also an affordable option ($3 per trip), and here’s how to do it: Catch the 192 Airport Rocket at Pearson and take it to Kipling Station. Take the subway eastbound to Yonge/Bloor station, and transfer to the Yonge line southbound. Take the subway south to Dundas station, and walk north about three blocks to Gerrard St. Turn left on Gerrard and you’ll be at the Delta Chelsea.
- Flying into Toronto City Centre Airport (more information about travel to and from this airport can also be found here):
- Taxi: Cabs are available from the airport, once you take the little ferry to the mainland (it’s free, and it’s the world’s shortest ferry ride at 121 metres!). Depending on traffic, the cab will cost you between $20 and $30 to get straight to the hotel.
- Free shuttle plus public transit: There is a free shuttle from the City Centre Airport to the Royal York Hotel on Front St. that runs approximately every 15 minutes. The Royal York hotel is right across the street from Union Station, and you can get on the subway at Union (public transit costs $3). Take the Yonge line northbound to Dundas station, and walk north about three blocks to Gerrard St. Turn left on Gerrard and you’ll be at the Delta Chelsea. (When getting back to the airport to go home, catch the shuttle in front of Casey’s Bar and Grill at the south west corner of Front St. and York St., across the street from Union Station.)
- Taking the train into Union Station:
- Taxi: Cabs are available from the station and depending on traffic, will cost you between $10 and $15 to get straight to the hotel.
- Public transit: Get on the subway at Union Station (public transit costs $3). Take the Yonge line northbound to Dundas station, and walk north about three blocks to Gerrard St. Turn left on Gerrard and you’ll be at the Delta Chelsea.
- Taking the Greyhound bus:
- Taxi: Cabs are available from the bus terminal, and would honestly cost you about five bucks.
- Our suggestion? Take a short walk: from the terminal, you only need to walk north about two blocks to Gerrard St., turn right, and you’ll be at the hotel. Win.
- The Delta Chelsea offers nifty turn-by-turn directions on their website right over here, and on-site parking information is listed there, too.
Travel to Toronto
CUP has arranged for several travel discounts from various companies for delegates traveling to Toronto for NASH75.
- Porter: use promotion code NASH75 when booking online at flyporter.com or through your travel agent for a 20% discount on all available base fares. The discounted fares are available for booking from November 2nd, 2012 to January 16th, 2013, and applicable to travel from anywhere in Canada or the U.S. to Toronto (travel to Toronto between January 6th and January 13th) and return travel (between January 9th and January 16th).
- WestJet: use promotion code CC7160 when booking over the phone with the WestJet Groups Department at 1-888-493-7853 for a 10% discount off best available fare at the time of the booking, excluding seat sales and web fares. Discounted rates are available for travel up to 3 days prior and 3 days after the event, January 9th to 13th, 2013.
- Air Canada: use promotion code CQQJDZZ1 when booking online at aircanada.com for a 5% discount off Tango fares, 10% off Tango Plus fares, 10% off Latitude fares, and 10% off Executive Class Flexible fares. Discounted rates are available for travel from January 1st to January 22 and apply to flights in and out of both Toronto Pearson International Airport and the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (downtown island airport, which, for Air Canada, only serves flights in and out of Montreal).
- VIA Rail: use convention discount code 12455when booking online at viarail.ca for a 10% discount off the best available fare in Economy, Business, Sleeper, or Sleeper Touring class (not applicable for Economy – special or escape fare, or Business – supersaver fare). Valid for travel from January 8th to January 14th, and for all stations throughout the VIA system to Toronto and return. One complimentary stopover is allowed at no additional cost (for travel on all fare plans in Business class, the first stopover is allowed at no additional charge, provided that this stopover takes place in Toronto, Montréal or Ottawa only). WHEN BOOKING ONLINE: You have to log in to your profile, or create one prior to booking. On the Passenger information screen, select “Convention Fare” from the “Discount Type” drop-down menu, and enter the discount code (12455) in the “Discount Code” field.
Delegates should aim to arrive at the hotel no later than 5pm on Wednesday, January 9th to allow time for check-in and registration before official conference programming kicks off. When booking return travel, papers will need to keep in mind the fact that at least one representative from every member paper is required to present themselves at plenary (CUP’s annual general meeting), which occurs Sunday, January 13th. Individuals staying for plenary should plan to book return travel on the morning of Monday, January 14th. Delegates who choose not to remain at the hotel for plenary can travel anytime on Sunday, January 13th, as no other official programming will be scheduled for that day.